What do you like best?
1. It can be used on own server, without cloud.
2. It's open source and free in standard version.
3. It has very intuitive interface.
4. It's often updated.
5. It has extensive configuration, possibility of custom fields definition.
6. It has a wide range of usage.
7. If offers many useful features: workflows (tasks statuses vs. roles), budgets, Gantt charts.
What do you dislike?
1. Despite the frequent updates, the software is still buggy.
2. It has only basic system of permissions e.g. lack of privileges on levels lower than a project like on work packages or custom fields.
3. Budgets management is very limited e.g. there are neither margin option nor possibility to use common budget for couple projects.
4. It still lacks a some system of automation e.g. possibility to write some scripts, define own views for all projects at once etc.
5. Working with many projects is very limited.
6. You cannot use custom fields in many features like cost reports or my page widgets.
7. The external API is still underdeveloped.
8. Lack of KPI's, resource management and employees efficiency.
Recommendations to others considering the product:
OpenProject is a good and trustworthy solution but it is only a tool. First you need to define your own needs, create your own processes and then decide if this software can fulfill your requirements.
What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?
1. We use this software mainly to bug tracking, project management and simply time based settlements.
2. With OpenProject we have greater control over our work and responsibility.
3. We have better communication with our clients and inside our team.
4. Consequently we can offer better quality services, reduce cost of products development, stay on schedule and keep costs and resources to budget.