In order to manage a bunch of people in your team, you need to literally shuffle between a lot of work simultaneously such as managing the to-do list, scheduling projects, assigning tasks, etc, in order to get the maximum work done. Project management software will be a manager’s best friend to ease out the work. After all, there’s no point in hustling with things, which often increases the risks of making errors, thereby diminishing productivity.
There are a variety of software available that helps one to manage their projects and assignments better, but the one that is the most reliable and widely preferred by businesses is definitely Smartsheet. However, there are other recent tools that various software companies have come up with, which made them acquire significant positions in the list. In this article, we will be discussing the various alternatives of Smartsheet app that can enable one to manage one’s workflow more smoothly.
What is Smartsheet?
Smartsheet is a highly rated project management software opted by all the growing businesses. It is known for its simplicity and individualistic approach to task management. It has some common resemblance to Microsoft Excel, as it combines the planning of the project by collaborating with the team, resource management and automation of the workflows under a single roof.
Smartsheet is a cloud-hosted software which is accessible via a wide variety of devices and enriched with open API that matches the software environment of all kinds. One of the most important things about Smartsheet is that it is flexible, instinctive, centralised, secure, come with business specified operations, keep backups and have a smooth interface for accessing all your data and documents with ease.
Why Go for a Smartsheet Alternative?
Business management should look for an alternative of Smartsheet to fulfil the following needs:
- Time tracking - It is important to keep a track on how much time is associated with fulfilling a single task. Smartsheet doesn’t come with a time management feature while tracking projects. So it is better to look for a tool that would help you to finish your tasks on time, thus enabling you to meet your deadlines.
- Real-time chat - It is important to have a conversation between the members of a team regarding timely collaboration. Real-time chatting or commenting within the task is a necessary feature that is absent in Smartsheet.
- Functionality of reports - The functionality report feature in Smart sheets are too complicated to use. Users have to go through several steps to complete the process which indeed consumes a lot of time. Thus, in a generation in which time management becomes the key, one needs to switch to other apps for better outcomes.
- Expensive - There are a lot of free project management tools available in the market that come with a lot of features, which would at least meet your basic needs. Therefore, Smartsheet is quite expensive in comparison to them, and being cost-efficiency is extremely necessary.
Comparative Study of the Top 10 Smartsheet Alternatives for Project Management
List of Best Smartsheet Alternatives
nTask is a multifaceted project management software enriched with useful features. The software is well equipped with intellectual tools that purvey to the needs of individuals as well as helps to manage tasks perfectly. It has a basic user-friendly interface with smart features that facilitates seamless processing, storing and monitoring of the overall performance of the project.
- Cloud, SaaS, Web
- Mobile - Android Native
- Mobile - iOS Native
- Effective task filters
- Basic and user-friendly interface with smart features
- Built-in Gantt charts to ensure time-to-time reporting
- Capable of Managing and executing meetings
- Supports issue and risk management
- Free software with an affordable upgrade
- Integrated with multiple apps to avoid constant switching between them.
- The chat feature is absent. The users can make comments only.
- Grantt charts provides limited auto-generating functionalities
- Kanban boards are absent in the software. Third-party Kanban boards are needed to visualise the workflow.
- Free - The free version has limitations of usage. The managers can work for up to 5 projects, 5 workspaces, unlimited meetings, unlimited task, 200 MB storage space, 5 MB size file attachment, issues and risks management and timesheets.
- Pro - $2.99 with unlimited access to everything.
Jira is one of the smartest spreadsheet alternative project management software, specially built for teams. The purpose of designing this application is to be able to support vigorous processes at the time of planning, building, and managing project and time. The software allows teams to take advantage of workflow mapping and reporting, as well as acquiring techniques to execute the project in the most efficient way.
- An advanced project management software for an acrobatic team
- Capable of generating various progress tracking reports
- Contains customized scrum boards
- Expert in backlog management and sprint management
- Can map user stories
- Capable of tracking issues and bugs
- Dashboard can be customized
- Need extensive configuration setup
- Doesn’t have a user friendly interface
- No free version available
- Maximum 10 users - $10 per month
- 11 to 100 users - $7 per user per month
- More than 100 users - Price available upon request.
Google Sheet is a well known project management software. It allows the manager to edit, create and collaborate anywhere he or she wants. Google Sheets has so many productivity tools that allow users to create documents and store them securely in Google Drive. It is a great app to work collectively as multiple users can work on one document at a single point in time. In addition to that, there is no chance of losing a single data because all the changes are saved automatically. It also has free templates where people can communicate through texting and commenting.
Cloud, SaaS, Web
- Enables saving the document automatically in drive or even offline.
- Easy to create, collaborate and share documents
- Action times to make the process fast and efficient
- Access to tools from Gmail
- Encourage collaborative working by allowing other users to make changes in the document
- Free cloud storage and other tools
- Lacks advanced functional features
- Offline editing can only be done in Chrome browser
- Lacks macro capabilities of Excel
Nutcache is known for bringing versatility in the business workflow. It is a very powerful and versatile project planner. The project managers can keep a track on workings of their team members and assign them new cards. The software makes sure that the project is running smoothly, effectively and generating ample profit. It allows one to set alerts that notifies one when the potential cost overruns. It has an invoice method that can be created during a project. It seamlessly manages the delivery of projects and tasks.
- iPhone app
- Android app
- Allows invoice generation, time tracking, and receiving payments.
- Centralised dashboard to track and manage the expenses, logging hours and cost to the firm.
- Easy to estimate and generate invoices
- Through cross-platform, the manager can work with 20 clients on multiple projects simultaneously
- Regular updates making small improvements
- Intuitive product
- Numerous tools for quick process
- Offline mode unavailable
- Cannot access anywhere through smartphones
- Low documentation
- Poor visual effects
- Paid only in US$
- Basic - $8.95/month/year or $11.95/month
- Pro - $6/user/month
- Enterprise - $12/user/month
Airtable is a collaboration tool that helps to organise projects online. It is a cloud based software which is a combination of functions of a management tool and spreadsheet and offers a quite user friendly experience. It brings together powerful features and accurate guidance to serve the audience better. This open source Smartsheet alternative has an appealing design with an effective user interface that helps users to experience some fun while getting their work done. It keeps the project manager tracked and organised.
- Mobile apps for Android and iOS
- Desktop apps for Windows and macOS
- Simple interface
- Litter-free features
- Users would be able to create multiple databases at a single location
- Compatible with distinct devices
- Capable of tracking issues and bugs
- Wide variety of inbuilt project management templates
- Client project tracker
- One can save file attachments
- Powerful filters for project sorting
- Multiple views for making task management easier
- Video chat with team members
- Mainly a visualization and data storage tool
- Comes with limited functionality of tracking time
- Lack of meeting management features
- Limited operation of progress reports
- Basic - Free service with 2GB space attachment, unlimited base.
- Plus - $10 per user, per month with 5GB attachment space and unlimited bases.
- Pro - $20 per user, per month with 20GB attachment space, unlimited bases and some advanced features.
- Enterprise - Price available upon request. The package includes 1000 GB attachment space, unlimited bases, essential and advanced features with support.
No wonder these softwares are here to make the work of the management go easier, better and faster. There are lots of features loaded in these applications that are enough to deal with an enterprise no matter whether its small or medium or large. The management need to research on these software and figure out the one that comes under their budget and fulfill the needs at the same time. If chosen properly, it might enhance the overall performance of the organisation and lead them towards growth and development.