Before we were hit by the Covid-19 pandemic, businesses followed a standard working model of having employees work from the office. However, the pandemic forced businesses to turn to solutions like remote working to ensure their business continuity. Although remote working was prevalent earlier as well, it has become more in demand, thanks to the pandemic. Today, most of organizations follow a hybrid working model where employees can work from the office for a couple of days and work remotely for the rest of the days.
This shift in the working model has led businesses to look for solutions that enable better and seamless remote working. Earlier, remote working was believed to be more casual; however, there have been findings that remote working has become more effective and resulted in better employee productivity and business growth. Read on to find out how this has become possible and why businesses today have embraced remote working.
Table of Contents
What is SaaS?
Collaboration and communication are two major tools required for facilitating seamless and smooth remote working, and the SaaS (Software as a Service) industry has been able to offer a wide range of solutions that have enabled employees to adapt to remote work easily and efficiently. From audio and video conferences to web content management to HR to project management and various other business aspects, SaaS has been a game changer.
So, what exactly is SaaS? It is defined as a cloud-based service where you can access software and applications through an internet browser rather than installing and maintaining them. With the help of SaaS solutions, businesses and employees do not have to worry about managing complex hardware and software. As long as you have a device and an internet connection, you can access the software from anywhere without having to depend on your local machines on which the software is usually installed.
Unlike on-premise solutions, where the responsibility of managing software, its security, performance, maintenance, etc., lies on the business using the software, the responsibility of a SaaS solution lies with the SaaS provider. In the past couple of years, more and more businesses are turning to SaaS solutions which have led to the SaaS industry becoming a key player in the future of remote working.
Benefits of SaaS for Remote Work
Remote working models, with the aid of SaaS solutions, have benefitted businesses in various ways. From boosting flexibility to cost savings to better collaboration, there are several benefits that prove that SaaS plays a crucial role in the future of remote working. Here are some of the benefits of SaaS for remote work.
- Scalable – One of the major advantages of SaaS is that it is highly scalable. Since the solutions are delivered over the cloud, they need to be flexible and scalable in order to leverage the benefits of the cloud. As businesses grow, they need to ensure that the solutions they have invested in being able to accommodate the growth. SaaS solutions can expand storage, add other features, etc., without the need to install any new hardware or software, which makes it easier for businesses to continue their growth.
- Adaptable – SaaS solutions are easily adaptable as they can be configured, deployed, and managed from any location, which is a huge benefit when it comes to remote working. All the solutions can be easily accessed from anywhere as long as you have a device with internet connectivity. For businesses, this also helps them to save time, effort, and money as they don’t have to worry about installing and configuring the software on every employee’s local devices.
- Accessibility – As mentioned earlier, these SaaS solutions can be easily accessed from anywhere through laptops, desktops, mobile devices, and tablets. The ability to connect to these services 24/7, from any location, helps businesses facilitate better collaboration and connection between their employees who are working from different locations.
- Easy Transition – In this new way of working, where remote working features prominently, SaaS plays a major role in helping businesses as well as employees easily transition towards digital solutions. With various project management solutions, video conferencing solutions, etc., it has become easier for businesses and employees to transition from office to remote working.
- Cost Effective – SaaS solutions are definitely cost-effective because businesses no longer have to invest in a server and its recurring maintenance. Since SaaS solutions are subscription-based, organizations can opt for pay-as-you-go. There is no need to invest in physical servers to maintain the data. All that businesses need to do is pay more if they need additional features and services. This is especially beneficial for small and mid-size businesses.
Challenges of SaaS for Remote Work
Although there is a wide range of benefits of SaaS solutions for remote work, there are also some challenges that businesses should look out for, such as:
- Security/Privacy – Privacy and data security are top concerns of every organization, and although SaaS solutions do come with enhances security features, they are still an area of concern. For example, there have been many instances where the software has been easily hacked due to security lapses. So, if you are investing in a SaaS solution, pay special attention to its security features and ensure that they are compliant with your security and privacy needs.
- Digital Etiquette – Although these solutions are definitely a boon for remote working employees, there is still the challenge of maintaining and following digital business etiquette. We have come across various instances where employees are seen indulging in personal activities while they are on official video calls, or sometimes the intention of a person’s message comes across incorrectly while messaging on internal communication tools, etc. However, this is not a major challenge, and it can be easily overcome by businesses. They can conduct quick etiquette sessions, send out some basic do’s and don’t’s, communication guidelines to follow, etc.
Top SaaS Solutions for Seamless Remote Work
Here are some of the top SaaS solutions that enable businesses to ensure that their remote-working employees are able to work seamlessly:
- Project Management Software
- Video Conferencing Software
- Time Tracking Software
- Virtual Event Platforms
- Collaboration Software
The hybrid working model is definitely here to stay with many companies, even offering a completely remote working environment, and SaaS solutions are definitely one of the driving forces behind the success and adoption of remote working. Also, since the SaaS industry is continuously evolving, businesses can rest assured that they will be able to cope with the fast-evolving remote working model as well as more and more SaaS solutions become available to cater to various business needs. Also, these SaaS solutions are favorable for both businesses as well as employees, thus, making them an indispensable part of remote working.
We recommend you check out SaaSworthy, where you will find information about more than 40,000 SaaS solutions across 300 categories.