Today, efficiency has become the key term across businesses of all sizes and types. Whether you are a well-established business or a start-up, efficiency is without a doubt one of the key focus areas. Another term that is often associated with efficiency is automation. Many business leaders believe that automation is an important investment that can help their businesses to become more efficient and successful. This is why API automation has been gaining popularity, with businesses ranging from small to mid to large focusing on ways to harness the power of API automation.
In this post, find out all that you need to know about API automation, its benefits, common challenges associated with it, examples, and more.
What is API Automation?
Application Programming Interface or API as it is commonly known, can be defined as a set of shared functions that outlines the protocols that allow two different applications (software) or services to interact with each other and exchange information. With the help of API, developers can easily connect two systems, programs, services, etc. API automation can thus be defined as using automation to build, deploy, and test the APIs. Using API automation, businesses can automate various tasks ranging from something as simple as checking off a to-do item from a list to complex functions like connecting two complicated systems.
API plays a crucial role in the business workflow because if the API is not functioning as it should, then the systems, applications, software, or services may not work well. This is why API testing is considered an important step. By implementing API automation, businesses can save a lot of time and money as well as reduce or eliminate the need for manual operations.
To summarize, API automation boosts the API management’s complete lifecycle by automating critical tasks like API creation, deployment, publishing, and consumption. With the help of API automation, organizations can focus their resources on other high-value activities and make their businesses more efficient in terms of cost as well as time.
API Automation Benefits
API automation offers several benefits, such as:
- It helps boost efficiency by automating tasks so that they are completed quickly without any manual intervention.
- With most of the API tasks automated, employees can focus their time and energy on other important tasks.
- With automation in place, businesses can ensure that tasks are completed accurately and reduce the scope of errors with the help of standardized rules and testing.
- Since API automation eliminates the need for manual intervention, it helps reduce human error risks since the automation will follow pre-determined protocols.
- API automation also offers the benefit of keeping all your data secure and up to date.
- Implementing API automation enables businesses to reduce their operational costs by almost 30%.
- API automation plays a crucial in your business’s digital transformation journey by facilitating seamless innovation and workflow automation.
API Automation Common Challenges
Although API automation offers several benefits, it also involves challenges that should be taken into consideration. Some of the common challenges are:
- Security is a major challenge that requires considerable attention. APIs can make your data vulnerable to external threats if they are not secured properly. Many cybersecurity practices have not been able to cope with the popularity of API automation which has resulted in several data breaches. So, if you are about to implement API automation, ensure that your security features are up to date.
- Automated tasks need to be monitored and tested for accuracy and quality, and this can be a time-consuming process.
- In order for two systems to work properly, the API must be integrated correctly, and this can prove to be difficult when dealing with complex systems.
- When implementing API automation, it is important that there is a seamless collaboration between critical resources from various teams so that there is open communication about which tasks are being automated and who is the process owner.
- API automation cannot be carried out for all aspects of API management. So, it is important that you analyze your systems and identify the right tasks that can be automated.
API Automation vs. API Automation Testing
While discussing API automation, one key point to discuss is API automation vs. API automation testing. Although many people use both these terms interchangeably, the fact is that they are both different. The difference between the two is that API automation is the process of automating various API tasks and processes, whereas API automation testing refers to testing and ensuring that the automated tasks are performing correctly.
For example, API automation is the code or software that is used to automate a task, such as filling out forms, whereas API automation testing is the process of testing whether that code or software is working correctly or not. Through API automation testing, you can find out if there are any bugs or errors, check whether your data is safe and secure, check if the data is up to date, etc.
API Automation Examples
Some of the common examples where API automation can be considered useful are:
- Data transfers between two applications or services in a quick and efficient manner. Automation comes in handy, especially when you are dealing with large datasets.
- API automation is effective for triggering events-based actions. For example, you can create API automation for uploading a file or sending an email, etc.
- Repetitive tasks can benefit hugely from automation. So, if you have tasks that require filling out forms or checking off items from a to-do list, API automation is a great option.
Here is a list of some of the other tasks and processes that can be automated:
- API Documentation
- API upgrades
- API deployment
- Authentication procedures
- Multiple API products upgrade
- Security policies for API access
Digital transformation is steadily revolutionizing the way companies take their businesses ahead, and automation is a key component of this journey. API automation can help businesses to become more efficient and save time, money, and effort. Although it has its own share of advantages and benefits, you must remember that it also involves certain risks and challenges. Hence, ensure that you have a well-developed strategy in place to address those challenges, which in turn will help you to yield successful results from your API automation. Also, ensure that you are implementing both API automation and API automation testing to check and monitor that all the automated processes and tasks are performing as they should. This way, you can not only boost the efficiency of your business but also ensure that your products are high quality.
You can also check out SaaSworthy to find out details about some of the best API Management Software currently available in the market.